Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Things of delight and horror.

First, a few things of delight. I recently learned about the work of Theo Jansen, who builds the most amazing kinetic sculptures. They're really giant wind-powered beasts of plastic pipe and heaven knows what, which he turns loose on the beach. He calls them strandbeests, I think.

Here's a video.


I'm guessing this has inspired others to create their own miniature strandbeests. Here's a hamster-powered walker which is rather amusing, courtesy of the Crabfu ArtWorks blog.




Another odd delight: it turns out there's a place in Venezuela where there's an "everlasting lightening storm" which takes place 260 nights a year. Who knew? Slate has an article on it.


The thing of horror? Slate's review of Bloodlands, a history of Hitler's and Stalin's genocides. One of the excerpts concerns cannibalism taking place in the Ukraine during the famine of the 1930s. The excerpt is graphic, heartbreaking, sickening, and enlightening. Starvation turning run-of-the-mill people evil, or at least lowering the bar for committing acts of evil.

How widespread was the behavior? "… at least 2,505 people were sentenced for cannibalism in the years 1932 and 1933 in Ukraine, although the actual number of cases was most certainly greater."

You may not wish to read the review. I sort of wish I hadn't read it, although it did expand my world/historical view. I guess it's one of those things one feels obliged to be aware of and bear witness to, much like certain disturbing events of the modern day.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that Theo Jansen is designing his creatures to be able to "live" on, after he's gone.

Bloodlands: haven't read the Slate review yet (not enough hours in the day!) but I did listen to an interview with the author, available here:
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/latenightlive/stories/2011/3121235.htm (I listen to this radio program every weeknight. Wait, not THIS exact one, the overall one. You know what I mean.)

I think I will probably read the book if the local library gets it. Does that sound morbid? It's mostly so I'm informed against the people who want to pretend that these deaths didn't happen...

Flea said...

I love the lightning photos!

Bloodlands? I'm going to pass. I've been sad lately - stupid hormones - and don't think I could handle it. Have read quite a bit of fiction and non-fiction about WWII, it's people and events, the last couple of years. In fact, my Hunny just read The Wave and encouraged me to read it, but I can't bring myself to. Thanks, though, for the heads up and the facts I didn't know. :)

secret agent woman said...

The kids an I recently watched "The Road" (COrmack McCarthy - which included cannibalism in a post apocalyptic world. Horrifying.

I liked the hamster walker but it was much better the second time when I put it on silent and didn't have to listen to the silly narration.

secret agent woman said...

P.S. I just read the review. I can tell you that I would always choose death over killing my (or any) child. Always. There are far worse things than dying.

Pam said...

The hamster thing is cute but when we had a hamster ball I always worried that the little furry chap was desperately trying to escape from its confinement and never managed.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Bearing witness is sometimes all we can do to honor the memory of those who perished horrifically. They are owed. Luckily, there is also Art to see and remember. Excellent post!

Pam said...

I'm missing you now that you're posting so infrequently. Hope you're doing really exciting things instead.

Flea said...

I realized that I hadn't heard from you in ... oooooh, a month or more ... so am popping in to say hello. Everything alright? Anything I can do? send chocolate your way, perhaps?

Meggie said...

I hate the idea of any animal ~including humans~ being trapped.

Are you OK? Hugs from meXX

Casdok said...

Loved the hamster power!!!

Aunty Evil said...

Hope you are ok?

Pam said...

Warty, I don't know if you read this any more, but I miss your posts and hope that you're all right. Not that stopping blogging necessarily implies NOT being all right.