Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Keep only the good stuff

While I was packing up Christmas ornaments, my son picked one up and began to study it.

"My step-grandmother gave me that," I told him, "the lady who died recently. I keep it on the tree to remember her."

"Why?" he asked.

"Why what? What do you mean, why?"

"Why do you want to remember her?" he asked.

As is so often the case in dealing with him, I felt as though I'd fallen down a rabbit hole.

"Because she's gone," I replied, "she died. She's gone forever."

"But she was mean. Your step-grandmother was mean. Why would you want to remember her? You should get rid of the ornament."

"No," I responded, "that's my stepmother. Her mother was a good person, kind and generous and loving."

"But your stepmother and stepfather are mean," he emphasized.

In the midst of trying to sort all of this out, it struck me how straightforward his attitude is: if someone is crappy and mean to you, you just excise them and all reminders of them. Ditch the Christmas ornaments and anything else they might have given you. Keep only the good stuff.

It's not a bad thought. Maybe I'll try it. There's a hat hanging in my laundry room, a wide-brimmed hat festooned with dust, polyester lace, fake flowers, and fake pearls in a shade which would make an oyster nauseous. Every time I look at it I think of my stepmother, and not in a good way. I hate the damned thing, but I've hung on to it for years because I reasoned that it took my stepmother fifteen minutes or so to glue it all together, and it was something she was proud of having made.

I'll bet I have a garbage bag which is just the right size.

10 comments:

Aunty Evil said...

If only it was that easy huh? For some people it can be, for others the scars run way too deep.

I'd get rid of that hat though.

Dorothy said...

Smart kid. There is so much toxicity that we are unwittingly exposed to, why not eliminate what you can?

And I agree, lose the hat.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

This excellent post made me contemplate what I might be holding onto which reminds me of past hurts, not all of it tangible. If only there were garbage bags in which to deposit memories.

Anonymous said...

TRASH IT BIN IT GET IT OUT OF YOUR LIFE!! I'll tell you one hurtful reminder-y thing that I have thrown out tomorrow - and you can keep me to that!

Anonymous said...

Simple philosophy, but it makes good sense!

Flea said...

GOOD. FOR. YOU. To the trash. Hug that boy for me.

Anonymous said...

There is always a perfect sized garbage bag.

- Jazz

Anonymous said...

Accentuate the positive. I agree with Dorothy, smart kid. Letting go is so valuable.

secret agent woman said...

Yes indeed, purge the stuff that conjures up bad memories. (My son once asked me, "Why do you even have anything to do with your parents?" I had no good answer.)

Meggie said...

amDitch that hat!!
B has the right idea. Trust him.