Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A cool post on carrots

Sometimes it's a treat to find out how little I know about a particular subject:

"In the fall, as night time temperatures drop, a carrot root naturally sweetens because the plant converts starches to sugars as a defense mechanism against freezing to death. Cells filled with sugary water have a lower freezing point. This organic process is why most root crops taste their best during winter."

For this and other carroty facts, see the current Ladybug Letter.

4 comments:

Flea said...

Oh very cool! I am so doing root crops! Beets, carrots - not turnips, though.

Pam said...

Well, that's very interesting.

I can tell you, Scotland must be prime carrot country at the moment. It's FREEZING.

Happy Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Well who knew. Though Mom always said late carrots are sweeter than early. She was right.

She will feel vindicated when I tell her.

- Jazz

secret agent woman said...

I knew they were sweeter, but never knew why. I like most root veggies. Except parsnips and turnips.