Sunday, May 23, 2010

I like ...

There's a neat application for iPad, iPod Touch, and iPhone called Soundrop. It's elegant in its simplicity, and so very pleasurable to play with. Its developer did a nice job.

To use Soundrop, one taps and drags to draw lines on one's screen. The lines are then struck by a series of balls, thus generating sound. The pitch of the sound is determined by the speed of the ball when it hits a line.

As of this writing, Soundrop is free. I predict that won't be the case forever; evidently more features are in the offing.

Here's a little video I made, showing Soundrop in use on my iPad. Please excuse the reflections, the birds chirping in the background, and my hairy arms.



I also very much like the Canon T2i with 18-135 mm lens which my husband gave me for our anniversary a few days ago.



You see, there are the public vows people exchange at weddings and the private, unstated ones. I think one of his private vows was to shower me with all the consumer electronics items a person could possibly desire.

I always question our good fortune, but for as long as it lasts, I intend to enjoy it.




The camera takes beautiful snapshots in low light. This one was clicked off at night, with my somewhat startled son lit by a single table lamp. No flash. The light on his right cheek may be from the boob tube.




With the addition of my extension tube, the T2i takes nice macro shots. It also takes high definition video. I can already tell I'm going to have a great deal of fun with this camera.




However, I don't like this pile of photography equipment I've accumulated over the past 25 years. It's such a waste having this stuff moldering in the closet. I hope we can find new homes for it all, with people who'll get some pleasure from it.


Addendum: I was out on Amazon looking at lenses. I suddenly became curious as to which lens might be most expensive and ran across this monster. ($29,000! You could buy two Dagobert throne toilets for that price! Oh, but Amazon offers free Super Saver Shipping for this lens. That's nice of them.) Check out the fourth product image, which clearly shows how big this darned thing is compared to a camera or, indeed, a human being. Some of the product reviews are also amusing.

13 comments:

Flea said...

Oh my. I've avoided making eye contact with the iPad since I heard about it for fear it would seduce me, have its way with me. That's quite impressive. And I do believe Sound Drop wants to make itself at home on my iPhone.

That's a beautiful camera. And a beautiful boy.

And OMG! The reviews for that lens are HILARIOUS! I didn't know you could train a cat to do espionage work! I wonder if Lou the Loud is too old to train?

furiousBall said...

Soundrop is cooool!

molly said...

The Sound Drop video left me wondering....there's a whole lot of the world today that I'm totally not clued in to. The only comment that came to mind, besides "?#$@!*&@" was "you have nice hands!"

Even though I'd probably have to spend another few years in college to learn how to use that camera, it does look lovely,drinedid and holds, I'm sure, exciting possibilities---like that beautiful shot of your boy!

molly said...

Aha! So that's where my first attempt at word verification fluttered off to.....

secret agent woman said...

I have a Canon that I really like. I tried to download Soundrop on my iPhone, but I must have done somethign wrong. I'll try again.

Anonymous said...

oooh that looks like a very good reason to have an ipad!

kathy n said...

Didja notice that Amazon gives a hefty $9,000. discount on the lens? What a deal!

Meggie said...

Now I have green eyes with envy for your wonderful camera.
I can probably live without an ipod or ipad.

K said...

Oooh. I am charmed by Sounddrop. I shall encourage my brother or dad to put it on their iPhones (if you can get it in Britain) so I can have a go. (My word verification is "sings" - how appropriate!)

Technology is a wonderful thing. I am in the US at the moment, and am travelling with a laptop for the first time ever (first time I've had one to travel with). I'm just now catching up to the wonders of videophoning my family for free from thousands of miles away...

Hairy arms? What hairy arms?

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Your son is exquisite!

I will research your camera because I need a new one. I stopped using our Nikon N-90, Rollei and Leica film cameras when I got my Nikon Coolpix which is now in the repair shop and not that great anyway as it sacrifices view finder for convenient size. Sometimes the private vows are more meaningful than the public ones - happy anniversary to you both!

heartinsanfrancisco said...

P.S. The video didn't show up at all - just a big white space in your blog. :(

Anonymous said...

There is an award for you at my site. Check it out, please.

Pam said...

Your son is so beautiful. Like an ... what do I mean?... Augustus John painting. Or do I mean Gwen John? Don't have time to check because I'm marking, not blogging.

Which is why I spent a happy, completely absorbed minute or two gazing at your lines and balls and listening to the plinky plonks.

You have sweet, innocent-looking arms.

I'm off!