Saturday, August 14, 2010

24 Hours without Facebook

I'm trying an experiment. Instead of writing fifty posts on Facebook today, I'm going combine them into one disjoint blog post. I have a suspicion that the end result will be banal, and demonstrate that I shouldn't post so much crap.

***

08:43: Trying to get enthused about the day. Yesterday evening left a really bad taste in my mouth.


08:50: This comment on a Typhoid fever story horrifies me:

Oh, you're right on the money. I watch the TV news, and hear lots of stories about hysterical reactions to minute lead in products, housing, and elsewhere. It is almost laughable. Meanwhile, I am also a NURSE working in a big ER in SF, and I really REGULARLY encounter young patients who being home-treated for cold symptoms with Mexican remedies -- little packets of powder that are actually GROUND LEAD. Seriously.

Wow. People inadvertently feeding their kids lead, thinking they're doing the right thing. That's beyond horrifying. What century is this?


09:00: I want a Nepalese singing bowl. Want, not need. However, there will be no purchases until I find out how much it will cost to repair my broken camera. Ah, yes. The broken camera. Let's not think about that, or how I behaved after I discovered it was broken. Maybe if I just sit still and don't move, I'll be a better person today. Sit still. Don't say much. Be nice to people.


09:58: Yesterday at the park, a few of the mothers asked me about my artwork. Shortly thereafter I realized that they really didn't care about the answer. They were just trying to be polite. The next time someone asks that question, I'm going to save all of us some time by saying "Look! A baby squirrel!" and walking away the moment people's heads are turned.


10:15 Son starts kindergarten on Monday. My early memories of school include dank hallways and the odors of meat pies, pine cleaner, and overflowing toilets. I hope his memories will be better.


10:34 Strangely attracted to a high dollar private school I've read about. However, I don't want the other kids to teach mine how to shoot up heroin between classes. Rich kids = getting in trouble with more expensive drugs.


11:48 Peoplesearch.com reveals the fact that my son's kindergarten teacher is 25. She's young enough to be my daughter. I am now officially old.

(Yes, I snoop. I want to know everything about everyone my son will be in contact with.)


12:15 I don't want to.


2:04 The other day, I met someone who claimed she'd been stalking me on the web. I wasn't sure how to respond other than a quirked eyebrow and "oh?", but I feel for her. Counseling would probably be more productive. Say, if she's bored enough to stalk me, maybe she'd like to hear all about my use of soy sizing! That's usually the part where people's eyes start to glaze over. That, and when I rant about how an atom smasher isn't the same thing as an electron smasher.


3:25: One scoop is enough. Heck, half a scoop is plenty.


4:06: Sometimes I wonder how my husband feels. I wonder if I'm secretly driving him nuts, but he's keeping it to himself because we have a kid?


5:47 When I feel bummed, this video cheers me up. It's so surreal and bizarre. I tried to convince my son that making giant tea cozy outfits or suits out of artificial grass was strange, but he thought it was wonderful. "Look! She's wearing a dress like a giant wedding cake!" Well, yes. It is wonderful. It's also darned strange. I wish I'd thought of it.

I'm pretty sure the woman who wears the column-shaped dress went to the Barbizon School of Modeling. That's what you used to do when you were a clueless redneck in Texas. You'd send your daughter to learn how to "be a model" or "just look like one," then have a bunch of "portfolio shots" taken. My cousin did that, right before she got pregnant out of wedlock three times. The makeup artist did a nice job of covering up her zits.




6:09 Want to know how someone's mind works? Do a jigsaw puzzle with them. Want to know how they teach or interact with kids? Have them do a jigsaw puzzle with a little kid.

Yes, there's a story behind this.


7:12: I just realized who Peggy Hill off King of the Hill reminds me of: my stepmother.


11:17 Why do people wait until a deadline is almost upon them before trying to upload files, then wonder why the server in question is busy?


***

Gosh. Whaddya know? None of that stuff was worth a Facebook post, much less a blog post. Maybe as I meet more people and become less lonely, I won't feel the urge to post so much minutiae. Keeping my fingers crossed -

4 comments:

secret agent woman said...

Wait - do you really post that often on facebook? I don't even check facebook but a few times a week, and post less frequently than that.

Jazz said...

Holy shit! When I was a teenager reading Seventeen magazine, there were always ads for the Barbizon School of Modelling. Every month. Luckily I held back from sending in my picture and having everyone who worked there (no doubt a one room in back of the house operation) die laughing...

Warty Mammal said...

SAW - I don't post quite that often, but more than I should. Certainly more than anyone would care to read.

I've been in a stage of life where I'm hungry for contact with other adults, and Facebook and the like have provided an outlet for some of that. Hopefully with the kid in school, I can go into a mode where I receive more than I transmit.


Jazz - I'll bet you're great and underrate yourself. The whole Barbizon thing does strike me as a relic of another time and place, though. The poor/middle class person's finishing school.

Anonova said...

Growing up on the west coast of Canada, it was dance school that kids got sent to. If their parents weren't dirt poor like mine. I learned to dance with my dog. He smelled better than the boys that were forced into the dance classes, though.

I say post as much as you freakin' want on Facebook. It beats out my cousin-in-law who is always posting appeals for money to pay for another cell phone for one of her many spawn.