Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Ironies and epiphanies

Irony/epiphany #1:

I've long admired Kathy Nida's seemingly effortless genius, the way intricate, surreal sketches are birthed by her brain. How wonderful it must be to let one's hand roam free over the paper while at a soccer game or just after popping a casserole in the oven, and find it has produced flowers growing out of a woman's uterus or a tree which has hands for roots.

I've been trying to find my own voice off and on for mumbly mumble years now. It's an arduous process. At times I've even wondered if I have a voice, something beyond a prepubescent longing to draw an angel-winged Elton John floating on a cloud.

Today, while idly studying the handsome young swim instructors at a local pool, I let my hand fiddle around. Sure enough, it produced something. Something unique, even. I thus discovered that the issue isn't that I don't have a voice. It's that I don't respect the voice and I think it's full of crap.

I suppose that's progress.


Irony/epiphany #2:

I've lived in my current house for sixteen years now. During much of that time, I've been obsessed with shoehorning in plants which are edible, have flowers, or both. The property now has plum, orange, peach, and apple trees, as well as grape vines, a ragtag vegetable garden and herbs snuck in here and there. The front yard is xeriscaped with plants for bees, butterflies and birds.

I was always mystified by a set of trees along the back fence, though. What in the world were they? In the spring they'd put out light pink flowers with red stamens. The squirrels and birds were wild about them, and when I sat under the trees, the buzzing of bees was so loud I could have sworn I had a bee hive.

Recently I identified the trees. They're pineapple guavas. They do exactly what I always wanted, flowering and producing tasty fruit. Too bad it took me sixteen years to realize that fact!

7 comments:

secret agent woman said...

"Today, while idly studying the handsome young swim instructors at a local pool, I let my hand fiddle around."

Sometimes the adolescent in me is shockingly ready to see unintended humor.

Anonymous said...

I so relate to irony #1, and have my whole life.
And my corrupt mind, regarding that line, went to the same place as SAW's.

kathy n said...

we're all in the gutter on that one...but hey, you'll be glad to know that I did an absolutely CRAP drawing of a raccoon last night, so realize I don't post ALL the drawings :-) (going to sign kids up for unnecessary swim lessons now...)

Anonymous said...

Someone recently asked if a quilt was mine. When I asked how she knew she said that it looked like something I would design. I don't see that at all. I see each of my quilts as unique, but apparently they have something that identifies them as mine.

I think we do each have a personal style/ voice, but that it's almost impossible to recognise it yourself. Each time you make something it stands alone for you, but for others it builds into the big picture that makes up your body of work.

Anonymous said...

Someone recently asked if a quilt was mine. When I asked how she knew she said that it looked like something I would design. I don't see that at all. I see each of my quilts as unique, but apparently they have something that identifies them as mine.

I think we do each have a personal style/ voice, but that it's almost impossible to recognise it yourself. Each time you make something it stands alone for you, but for others it builds into the big picture that makes up your body of work.

Warty Mammal said...

SAW & MrWriteOn - Yeah, I thought about editing that line, then left it as is. What the heck. Maybe I was engaging in masturbation of the mental, if not literal, variety.

Kathy - Yeah? ONE crap drawing? Let me know when the number gets to 99%.

Peppermint - You definitely have a recognizable style. Whimsy, color, design. Me, I think my body of work has a personal odor.

Jazz said...

Hey, I've seen your quilts. You definitely have a voice.