I'm in a pissy sort of mood this evening. So annoyed that I may not even figure out the point of this entry or how to give it structure. (Although I've long held that if I went through and crossed out every other word I write, my writing would be much improved. Perhaps I should give that a try tonight.)
To make a short story long, we all attended a birthday party this afternoon. Most of the participants were from my son's preschool. Since the preschool years will be over in two days and people will begin to go their separate ways, there was a bittersweet quality about it.
Now, one thing I've learned from being at that preschool, meeting other parents, and interacting with their kids, is that many people have serious concerns about their children. They worry that something is wrong with their kids, that their kids aren't developing fast enough, that their kids will be permanently damaged if they are or aren't held back a year, et cetera. Pretty much every decision is fraught and will no doubt determine whether the kid gets accepted into Harvard in fifteen years.
My personal opinion is that we worry too damned much. We push push push the kids to do things they aren't quite developmentally ready to do, we freak out when they pick their noses or they don't quite make it to the toilet, we spend too little time letting them explore and too much time standing over them making them practice perfect penmanship.
I do think we have to set appropriate goals for kids and be responsible about consulting doctors and the like when there are concerns. However, I also suspect that many issues will resolve themselves if we simply give our kids' brains time to develop. For instance, many kids aren't ready for toilet training the instant they turn two, no matter how consistently we plop them on the pot. Instead of battling and fretting over it, why not wait three months or six months and then try again?
Evidently my view is an unpopular one, if not regarded as downright irresponsible. Today I chatted with one of the fretters. Her adopted daughter is bright and personable, if tiny and mostly non-verbal. Her mom has taken her to the doctor, to speech therapy, what-have-you. I'm not sure what else one could do. Now she's fretting about holding her daughter back in preschool a year. Well, you know my opinion: relax, keep doing what you can, and give the kid more time to develop. Kindergarten will still be there next year.
Now, this particular mother has been around my kid for a couple of years. His development hasn't been the smoothest thing in the world. If memory serves, when we first met her, he was still at the point of screaming and freaking out when I tried to take him in the school building and he was just beginning to string words together, about a year later than average. However, he'd worked past the really hellish business of screaming for hours on end when I brought him to school, or hiding under a table or a coat if people spoke to or looked at him.
A lot of this hasn't been fun, but I'm very pleased with the boy. He now loves school, "has an excellent vocabulary" (per the head of the school), fully participates in class, and gets in trouble for things like picking his nose. One of his former teachers claims that it's because my husband and I worked with him so much. We did, but I think most of the credit goes to him. He has a good heart, he tried hard, and his brain simply developed some more.
But oh, the comments people have made over the past few years. "Have you taken him to a doctor?" Duh. What do you think, dumb***? Do I strike you as the type of person to, say, deny insulin to a child with diabetes? "Did you nurse him for a long time?" Um. Why do you ask? Is this part of the popular mythology where you came from, that kids who are nursed for a long time turn out quirky? "Did you have him vaccinated? You know, those vaccinations cause autism."
Everybody has an opinion. Everybody thinks they have answers, although almost nobody does. Everybody thinks I'm a slacker parent and that if they had a shot at my kid, they'd do a better job.
So, the comment today? It was something along the lines of "Do you think you and your husband caused your son's problems with your attitudes, or was he simply made that way?"
My gut responses:
1. (Intercourse) you.
2. Gosh. What do you think? Do you seriously think I enjoyed sitting in the schoolyard for hours, dealing with a screaming, thrashing child instead of having him docilely come in the building and play with choo-choo trains? Do you think I enjoyed the stares, the idiotic comments, my personal fear that my kid wasn't going to be okay? Do you think my conscious choice to try not to freak out over the whole thing caused this situation?
I responded with a polite version of #2. Her response to that was something along the lines of "All of our decisions affect our children's futures."
Ah. The Harvard thing again. Yep, if they have lousy penmanship at age four or we get them in the wrong kindergarten, they're doomed. Probably I've already doomed my kid by serving him sharp cheddar instead of mild cheddar.
I felt like responding with:
3. Do you seriously think that parents have control of every aspect of their children's development? Are you implying that my son's development issues were because my husband I and I were negligent in some fashion?
4. I disagree. Some of the decisions we make are bound to have little or no impact. (See "sharp cheddar cheese").
5. I feel personally insulted. You have no idea who I am, what I've lived through, or what I've accomplished. You don't know the first thing about me. You should consider that when you question my methods and decisions.
Ah, well. I wish her daughter the best. She's a great kid. I hope that at some point, her mother will take a break from fretting and acknowledge the truly wonderful things about her.
Sunday, June 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
Amazing how ignorant some people can be; if they just stopped to think before they spoke....
Having an autistic son meant that I went through all the stares, suggestions and downright rudeness from other parents when he was young. For some reason there are some parents who believe your child should be sitting for a mensa test at age 5. Grow up people!!
Kids will continue at their own pace regardless of what we, as parents, do. Mine didn't talk properly until 4 1/2; okay he will never be a rocket scientist but he holds a steady job that he enjoys and that is all that really matters.
I often wonder if those parents pushing their kids have ever bothered to ask them (the kids) what they would like to do. Bet they would get a big shock ... rotfl.
Just keep doing what you are doing - your son is turning into a well balanced boy and that is the best testament that show how right you and your husband's input and guidance is.
Just tell them to stick it.....!!
I think we are lucky that we don't have a Harvard of the equivalent here. Children are not exptected to all go to University.
My Grandson decided, on his own that he wanted to dispense with nappies when he was under two. He toilet trained himself. A very unusual thing, in a young boy. He still has some social issues, but everthing is at HIS pace... not some graph or 'Norm'.
I would hate to be a mother in today's world.
I think you and your husband are brilliant parents, and your son is beautiful!
Remember when we were kids and started school with kindergarten and basically were allowed to play until then? Yeah, I guess we did all turn out to be idiots...
Insensitive clod! Not to mention extremely rude. #5, definitely!
All these "helicopter parents" are in for a big surprise when they realize their children are people in their own right, not just extensions of their parents' egos!
yeah, and we were still allowed to play in kindergarten!
I probably would have said number 1 and asked her in which orifice she would like me to shove her head, so you are a much nicer person than I am.
Wow. You're way more restrained than I could ever be. Those helicopter parents are doing so much harm - I reckon they're going to pay the price in years of therapy for the kids they've pushed into early breakdowns!
In most of those case, I think a disgusted look is enough. But sometimes you have to actually react.
I remember not long after my son had brain surgery (at 2 1/2) I was dropping him at the church nursery and a woman there saw the huge incision site up the back of his head, gasped and grabbed her own child away from him. She looked at me in horror and said, "What's wrong with him??" I was livid, but I just said (in an irritated tone, I admit), "He had brain surgery, it's not contagious, AND he speaks English." Along with the disgusted look, which is key.
Sooziii - I suspect that many of the parents who are pushing their kids don't care what their kids want to do. Nothing less than perfection, however they define it, will do.
There's probably some line one needs to walk, but I'm not sure where it lies. Kids need to try and learn certain things in order to have a good shot at flourishing after they leave the nest. They're not going to like or be interested in some of it, but we have to encourage them anyhow. However, I think it's also true that a kid's purpose in life isn't to fulfill mom and dad's dreams. They truly shouldn't have to bend themselves into being doctors, attorneys, or CEOs if those aren't professions they'd love.
I've asked my kid what he wants to do when he grows up. He's only five, so the answers are amusing. Last time he said he wanted to be "a builder and a doctor, and fix people's limbs so they'll grow back like a starfish's." Then when my husband said that he'd always wanted to be a scientist and a race car driver, the boy allowed as how that sounded good too.
Meggie - I think there's a certain realism to that, realizing that some folks are simply going to want to move on to professions.
Your grandson is a treasure, very good at thinking things through, it seems.
Jazz - LOL! Yeah. I'm always biting my tongue, biting my tongue. Wouldn't we be ahead of the game if we simply fostered a love of learning and accepted our kids however they are?
Molly - My son's previous teacher had a good philosophical explanation for this kind of thing. "They're trying to make sense of it," she said, "they're afraid it will happen to them, and they don't know how to deal with it."
I don't know how long it will take some of these folks to truly absorb the fact that their kids are separate entities. Some of them will have to be drug kicking and screaming. Some of them will probably pressure their kids their entire lives, with little jabs about spouses, homes, they way the grandchildren are raised.
Maybe it's hard. I got a little taste of that today. We had a kid over who adores my son's building toys. It was as though he couldn't imagine anything more wonderful, couldn't wait to build all manner of things. That's exactly how I felt as a kid, and how I feel today. Sheer delight at the prospect of making.
Watching the visitor and my son, I realized that my son isn't wired up that way. He enjoys those toys now and then, and he certainly enjoys playing with whatever is made from them. However, he has no great thirst to invent things. He's more inclined to pick up a block and use it as a hammer or an imaginary gun than he is to build a city. I'm not sure where his passions do lay, but I need to quit trying to force an interest that simply isn't there.
Kathy - LOL! I think people underestimate the value of play. A kid whacking or kicking a ball is learning about momentum, velocity, inertia. A kid making mud pies is learning about mixing, stirring, solubility. Play is a very necessary part of development.
I was really annoyed with this mother at the time, but now I think she just can't help it. Our views are just so fundamentally different that they can't be bridged. She's living in a black-and-white world where everything can be controlled, where there's a clear set of steps one goes through to get a child from point A to point B. I doubt she could even understand how her statement, and the assumptions behind it, was so offensive.
Caity - The parents won't pay the price of therapy. Their kids will. The parents either won't acknowledge or won't be able to accept the fact that their actions had a negative effect on their kids.
Secret Agent - Horrific story. What in the hell was that woman thinking? Oh. Right. She wasn't thinking. Did she even have the grace to act embarrassed about her actions?
Excellent advice regarding the disgusted look. I'll have to cultivate one.
I love the way you are with your boy. I've told you before that our older daughter was eccentric when little and even when not so little, and now she's fine. She grew up and worked out that life was easier if she was a bit less eccentric. I wish I'd known how well she'd turn out and then I'd have stopped worrying.
You're doing a wonderful job with your boy.
As you say everyone has an opinion. So i can understand your mood - great rant :)
i would have used #1 to splat that lady with.
my oldest granddaughter is wayyy smarter than a 5th grader....you just have to step back to enjoy it. she is the perfect candidate for all day kindergarten. she drives me crazy some days because her mind and body move way faster than mine ever did.
Post a Comment