Socializing doesn't come easy for me, but there are play dates and social obligations: "So and so REALLY wants to meet you!" I think to myself "No, he really doesn't, but you've been very kind over the years, so by all means, haul him over and I'll feed you." I try. Hopefully the experience isn't too ghastly for people.
I've grown okay with visitors seeing this:

They usually look around with appalled expressions for a few minutes, saying nothing. Maybe it's because of the proximity to the kitchen, and maybe it's because it looks as though a yard sale threw up. Yes, there are piles. An embroidery machine which needs a new home, fifty pounds of plaster on the floor, a bucket of cement, a pile of bread tabs, paints, a bottle of hair.
It's untidy and it's okay. It's a work space. You know the cleaning exercise we go through before visitors come over, the swabbing of toilets and the sweeping? I'm tired of cleaning this area up and pretending that it stays tidy.
Besides, I figure that if it's horrible or scandalous, people will have something to chat about on the way home.
I'm also okay with them seeing these:


Visitor: "Have you been to Bali?"
Me: "No."
and this:

People are always fascinated and perhaps horrified by the leg lamp. "Is it a cast of your leg?" one visitor asked. No. No, it isn't. "Did you … go into a store and buy that?" another visitor inquired. No. I ordered it online. There are a couple of companies which make them.
The question "why" is usually left unasked. As in "Why did you buy this? Why do you have it in your home?" To put them out of some of their misery, I usually volunteer that ANYONE can have a tasteful home, but it's rare to find an object as unabashedly tacky as this one. It really is quite a hideous lamp, and I have great affection for it.
However, the thing I don't understand is this:

People are interested in the books. I get that. If I visited a house full of books, I'd certainly want to check out the collection. However, visitors always, always, always drift to the corner. The same place. The same 2-3 columns of books.
| From Anecdotally Yours |
| From Anecdotally Yours |
| From Anecdotally Yours |
(By the way; these are clickable, in case you also feel the urge to drift to the corner and stare.)
Why? Why the corner? Do books bring on some primitive denning impulse?
Socializing is such a mysterious activity.

7 comments:
Well hell, we have several of the same books... how cool.
Maybe they just aren't used to corner bookshelves. Or maybe it reminds them of when they were punished and sent to the corner as kids.
That's not just a lamp! That's a MAJOR AWARD!
Pearl
I think it must the book which appears to be entitled "Skunk Works". I want to know if I'm reading that right and what it's about...
Also, your work area looks a lot tidier than our kitchen table generally does. I would be pleased to have a work area as tidy as that (or any work area that isn't the kitchen table, come to that).
I think it must have a hidden magnetic field. I was fighting a weird compulsion to go straight to that corner just looking at your pictures.
Work spaces don't need to be tidied up - that just interferes with work. I often drift over to look at bookshelves, but I'm more likely to walk by ad scan as I go.
The lamp. Um. Yeah, okay - to each her own.
I'm in the corner right now...do you see me?
I think it's because you then feel surrounded by books...you don't have to move to see books all around you...my son would love me to redo his room in bookshelves...
Ah, the pleasant world of responding to blog comments. Have I mentioned lately how much I loathe Catholic Charities' dumping refugees next to my house? Or, more precisely, how the people tend to overflow the rental unit and sort of flop over the fence and yada yada yada. The other day, while hanging out laundry, I got treated to Extremely Loud Loogie Hocking Noises. Yeah. That's why I worked my butt off to pay off this house. So people could hock loogies and lean over into my yard and violate my privacy.
Okay. Son will be in kindergarten in a month or so. Then I can start planting huge masses of bougainvillea. Thorns. Flowers. People leaning over the fence getting pricked. I can't wait.
Onward to the comments …
Jazz - Yeah, or maybe most of my visitors have never seen books before. Maybe it's kind of like driving by a car wreck. People can't help but stare.
Pearl - You're right! Hell, I should buy several more.
K - Skunk Works is indeed a book. It's about Lockheed's Skunk Works, which was called the Skunk Works because, um, I don't know.
Stomper - Now I'm definitely thinking there's an issue with the corner. If you're feeling compelled to visit it simply based on a photo, the pull must be fierce.
Secret Agent - I love that lamp. It's a Major Award. You're just jealous.
Kathy - Have you considered book wallpaper for your son's room?
Post a Comment