A thousand years ago, when I was dewy and innocent (or perhaps just young and clueless), I took a class in English paper piecing.
Now, I was in the midst of a rocky period. Things weren't as rocky as they were going to get, but they were nasty and I didn't know how to deal with them. I was about twenty, a couple thousand miles from anyone I knew, supporting myself and a graduate student "husband". (I put the "husband" in quotations because, although we were legally married, I now know that calling him a husband was about like flavoring your ice cream with grains of sand instead of vanilla beans.)
It's a story that's been told thousands, maybe millions of times. Young upstart graduate student from a fourth rate school gets to go study under a Nobel Laureate at a big name university. Young immature wife gives up education to work. Except, in this case, the grad student happened to be an abuser and I was just as promising a student he was. However, I gave up my education because I increasingly believed I was crap. We had no telephone and I really didn't know anyone locally, which was incredibly isolating.
So there I was, supporting the household. I'd go to work - at this time, plugging along as a secretary rather than in a technical capacity - and I'd run into harassment there. Gynecologically detailed posters in areas I had to work in. Sexually aggressive comments from the men I worked with. "Do you like sex?" one individual asked me, undressing me with his eyes. At the time, I didn't know how to respond to such nonsense, so I stuttered. Perhaps most vexing of all, one of my bosses liked to undress with his door open. He'd do this when only I was around. Believe it or not, I didn't know how to handle it. I lived in dread of walking past his office door, in case he was in a state of undress. Of course, walking past his office door never had been that great … he had some poster on the door for, I think, the Rolling Stones. It showed a woman, full frontal naked, with eyes plastered over her breasts but the pubic area left furry and uncovered. I didn't know how to deal with it. I felt unbelievably uncomfortable.
Such a wonderful, professional work environment.
I asked my "husband" what to do about all of this stuff. His response: "What are you doing to cause all of this stuff?" Surely I must be doing something to cause it, he thought. Surely it was my fault. He expanded on that theme for a couple of hours, then continued on to one of his other themes, how I was mentally unstable/crazy and "needed professional care and medication". (Another story with plenty of nasty rocks to turn over. Just to summarize, I'd go see counselors, partly at his behest and partly because I was genuinely unhappy. "Perhaps there is something wrong with me," I'd think, "after all, my mother is nuts." When I'd start to make some progress toward improving my life, he'd decide the counselor was evil and harangue me until I quit seeing the person. When I finally left him, according to him, the counselor I'd been seeing at the time was a "lesbian whore bitch".)
Okay. No help there. I started blundering around, looking for help other places. I wrote my friend from high school. "You need to quit that job," she told me initially. Um. Yeah. There's this little detail of the job putting food on the table. "You just tell him that that's not how we do things in Texas!" she said. (Here I pause, listening to the mental echo of Marge Simpson telling her kids "You just march up to that school and tell them not to eat you!" during one of the Halloween episodes.)
Actually, if I'd had the fortitude to pull it off, that might not have been a bad approach: "You people need to knock it off!" But I didn't. I was falling apart. Harassment at work, abuse at home.
In the meantime, I signed up for this quilting class. After a few classes, the instructor struck up a conversation with me. "Oh, where do you work?" "Thus-and-such-a-place," I told her. As she drew me out, I mentioned the harassment. Perhaps this nice older lady might have some useful advice. Instead, she bridled. "My husband works there," she told me, "the people are VERY professional! Things like that don't go on there."
In other words, I was lying to her.
It was like being slapped. Yet another person in a whole series of people doling out crap. It really, really didn't help.
I've thought about that over the years. Why did she respond in that manner? Was I out of line?
Maybe she was simply defending herself. There's a whole world full of wounded people out there. Train wrecks of people with problems we may not care to know about, much less get involved with. Get too involved and we can get drug down too. Maybe her gut response to my admission was "This person is seriously messed up and I need to keep her at arm's length." Because, let's face it: most people who have their acts together don't go blurting their problems to acquaintances. And, realistically, my crap wasn't her or anyone else's problem to fix. Only I can fix my own crap or work on my own happiness.
Still, surely there's some response that isn't equivalent to calling a desperate person a liar. How would I respond in a like situation? I'd like to think I'd say "That sounds really awful. I'm so sorry that I don't know how to help," or Have you talked to someone up the management chain?" or, if the person really seemed in the mud, "I don't know how to help. Have you considered seeing a counselor? They often have lots of resources."
So, yes. When I remember that period, I have a little bit of anger toward her still. My problems weren't her responsibility, but a kind word or two would have gone a long way.
Yesterday I happened to remember her. Huh. What ever happened to that lady? Google came to the rescue. It turns out, ironically enough, that in addition to moonlighting as a quilt teacher, she was a well known cartoonist whose works revolved around humanitarian and women's issues. This person who told me that I couldn't possibly be getting harassed was known as a feminist and an activist. She spearheaded a traveling quilt exhibit, a group quilt full of blocks depicting women encountering various struggles. Yet when told about my own struggle, her gut response was that I must not be telling the truth. So in my opinion, in addition to being a cartoonist, quilt teacher, feminist and activist, she was a hypocrite.
She has dabbled in art quilting in the ensuing years. Google had some images of her work. I try to keep a kind tongue about others' work, because we are each on different paths. However, in her case, I'm happy to make an exception:
Her work is utter crap. Mine is far better.
It's a petty, childish revenge for an old hurt, but I'll take it.
Sunday, July 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Petty and childish really hit the spot sometimes. Just sayin'
I didn't get far into this before I knew I wanted t pour myself a glass of wine and take my time reading it. So many thoughts.
One was that you had the makings of a whomping sexual harassment suit for the work situation. That's appalling. This is a textbook hostile environment.
I have to wonder about the quilting instructor's response. Whether she couldn't bear the idea that her husband would either condone or participate in something like that, and so it was easier to call you a liar? Or if she was also an abuse victim and had learned her role of denial well?
And I have had a number of patients who were in abusive relationships who drop out as they are starting to get stronger. I've always suspected the husband insisted. I bet I've been called a "lesbian whore bitch" on more than a few occasions! I could only hope that our work had at least planted some seeds that would later help the woman leave.
Wow, you were SO good not mentioning this persons name!! And BTW - whoever she is - she sucks mightily for adding to your distress at the time you were suffering harrassment.
Your work is wonderful, T, not least because you put so much thought into it. I bet Ms X hasn't had a thought pass through her mind in years - meeeeooow!
A great revenge! I hope she reads this one day, & wonders... in her tiny mind..
There are some damn awful workplaces still out there, and a lot of vulnerable, gullible young girls being exploited.
Educationists need to start teaching students how to deal with this, and how NOT to behave in the workplace.
Im glad you got some sort of revenge.
Like secret agent it does make me wonder.
Do current regs on workplace harassment cover and deal with the sort of shit you had to contend with? I cringe to think that probably they don't.
What a horrible experience. Wendy has told me of similar ones that, ironically enough, happened to her when she was supporting her student husband in his graduate work, while he was abusing her at the same time. Consolation lies in the fact that the bastard has had an utterly miserable life since that time.
As for the instructor and her heartless attitude, she was, of course, refusing to face her own realities so she covered by lashing out at you.
And hypocritical frauds like her can be found everywhere.
It's like that song from "Hair" - do you know it? Easy To Be Hard, which talks about people who care about social injustice having no time on a personal level for a friend's pain.
I think your petty childish revenge is far less a crime than her treatment of you. ANd maybe she had suspicions about her husband...
Gosh. I hope you're enjoying your revenge because you certainly deserve it.
Jazz - LOL.
Now, looking back at this post after 2-3 weeks, I'm a little disturbed that my attitude in writing it was "why don't I pull myself up by pushing someone else down?" That really is petty.
SAW - Yeah. If only I'd known then what I know now. I don't know that I would have had the guts to pursue a harassment case, given everything which was going on. However, I do wish I'd been more grounded.
I haven't a clue about the instructor's response, other than the obvious "I don't want to deal with this". Her husband worked in a different area and wasn't involved in this nonsense. I knew him a little; he seemed like a decent enough guy. He was from a fairly patriarchal culture, though, so who knows.
As for the patients who've dropped out as they get stronger, I'm sure that the benefitted from your work and many seeds were planted. I remember various counselors asking leading questions, trying to prepare my mind so I could consider options or different modes of thought. Much of the time, I didn't "get" it until much later. It's just a long laborious process for everyone, and it has to be especially frustrating for those standing on the outside looking in, who have the clarity of distance.
Caity - Ah, well. I wish she'd handled things differently and there was a certain irony about the situation. However, I had to learn how to solve my problems myself.
Meggie - I doubt she even remembers the episode. My experience is that people who do dreadful or thoughtless things often don't, and are startled when the subject comes up.
I do think you're right about preparing youngsters for this aspect of the workplace. Avoidance and how to deal with situations which may arise. I'd like to think things are better than they were 25 years ago, but I suspect that they're still pretty bad.
Casdok - I wonder what her life is like.
MrWriteOn - I suspect the sort of stuff I dealt with was covered by the workplace regs even then. It's just that when a young, replaceable secretary has to go up against some big name Ph.D.s, the outcome isn't going to be good regardless of the ergs.
I'm so sorry about your wife's experiences. I hope the scars have begun to smooth out a bit.
Stomper - Oh, wow. Now I need to rematch Hair!
Isabelle - Meh. There's actually not that much pleasure in it. What would be more pleasurable would be helping a young person evade/avoid a similar problem.
Jazz - LOL.
Now, looking back at this post after 2-3 weeks, I'm a little disturbed that my attitude in writing it was "why don't I pull myself up by pushing someone else down?" That really is petty.
SAW - Yeah. If only I'd known then what I know now. I don't know that I would have had the guts to pursue a harassment case, given everything which was going on. However, I do wish I'd been more grounded.
I haven't a clue about the instructor's response, other than the obvious "I don't want to deal with this". Her husband worked in a different area and wasn't involved in this nonsense. I knew him a little; he seemed like a decent enough guy. He was from a fairly patriarchal culture, though, so who knows.
As for the patients who've dropped out as they get stronger, I'm sure that the benefitted from your work and many seeds were planted. I remember various counselors asking leading questions, trying to prepare my mind so I could consider options or different modes of thought. Much of the time, I didn't "get" it until much later. It's just a long laborious process for everyone, and it has to be especially frustrating for those standing on the outside looking in, who have the clarity of distance.
Caity - Ah, well. I wish she'd handled things differently and there was a certain irony about the situation. However, I had to learn how to solve my problems myself.
Post a Comment