Sunday, April 11, 2010

Bright and shiny



"I child-proofed my house but they still get in."

I've been steering away from shopping, but once in awhile, it's nice to have something bright and shiny and new. Today I purchased this recipe box. I hope you'll get as big a chuckle out of it as I have, although judging by the comments on the extreme ironing post, perhaps not so much! Different people have different tastes.

Should you want one of your own, though, the crafts store Michael's had this and boxes with similar sentiments for $2 each.

Other miscellanea: I haven't been around to visit much lately because I've been working on my most ambitious piece to date. If you're curious, you can see a snippet of it here, as well as a screed about irons. It occurred to me that one reason some other folks' work is better than mine is because they actually sit down and work, as opposed to sitting down and writing or otherwise griping about working. So. More butt-in-the-seat time for me.

I've also been trying to be more "present" with my son and my husband, for want of a better word. As in, actually be there with them, not hiding behind a book or a computer screen. I kind of don't want my kid's earliest memories to be of having to tear mommy away from a computer just to get a little attention.

The boy and I have been building a miniature golf course, or rather an array of obstacles and props which can be used and then put away. If people are curious, at some point I can post photos. It's actually more of a micro- or nano- course than a miniature. In some cases I'm modifying fanciful (and cheap) wood birdhouses for use as props. Today, for example, I found a rather large pirate ship birdhouse on sale for $4. That will get refashioned and pressed into service. I also discovered that if I adhered a laundry detergent cup to the inside of a serving dish, it made a darned nice plaster mold for one of those "18th-hole-in-the-volcano" thingies.

Huh. I've forgotten what else I was going to say. Oh, well. No biggie.

Take care and have a good week!

5 comments:

Stomper Girl said...

I'm sure your boy is loving your active engagement with him, I think I too have that tendency to be not-present with the computer so I applaud you.

Jazz said...

Maybe I don't get the extreme ironing thing because I never iron, you could have my iron if you like.

That recipe box, however, it had me in stitches. If I actually cooked and thus HAD recipes I'd so hunt one down.

Flea said...

I LOVE the box!

secret agent woman said...

I'm loving the juxtaposition of child-proofing your house with trying to be more present with your son!

sion said...

"It occurred to me that one reason some other folks' work is better than mine is because they actually sit down and work, as opposed to sitting down and writing or otherwise griping about working. So. More butt-in-the-seat time for me."

You KNOW that's me all over, I'm sure.