
Here's Manet's The Picnic:

What do you think? Am I imagining the connection? Is it purely because the people in the foreground of both pictures seem unaware of the background action? Is it because of the juxtaposition of clothed people with unclothed people?
Dunno. I just know that if all family photos had a peeing kid in the background, they'd be much more interesting. It could even devolve down to a "Where's Waldo" sort of thing: find the peeing kid in this photo!

10 comments:
There's one in every crowd! Do you think that is what Manet is trying to convey?
That is way better than my habit of photographing trees growing directly out of the top of people's heads!
Rotting poles or crumbling berms just dont cut it!
When you gotta, you gotta, whatever the era.
haha, i see it too :)
also, i found waldo in both pictures, but that could be from all the cough medicine i took this morning
I'm trying to figure out what it says about ME that I didn't even SEE the peeing kid at first look. Only after I read "background action" did I look back to see what was in the background...observant, much?
and now, of course, ALL I can see is that young man. LOL
I've never seen this Manet. Huh. And yes - all family photos would be better with a kid peeing in the background. When you're right, you're right!
everything i have to say is completely inappropriate...
I love that picture; the top one I mean. I think it is shades of a kind of American Gothic intercut with urinary reality.
I love that family photo! The Manet not so much - just a foreshadowing of modern movies that use naked women a clothed men.
Post a Comment