Isn't this cool? I'm receiving my first international FedEx shipment ever, and I'm getting a real charge out of online tracking:
Apr 12, 2010 9:52 PM Arrived at FedEx location OAKLAND, CA
Apr 12, 2010 4:58 PM Departed FedEx location ANCHORAGE, AK
Apr 12, 2010 12:00 PM Int'l shipment release ANCHORAGE, AK
Apr 12, 2010 9:30 AM Arrived at FedEx location ANCHORAGE, AK
Apr 12, 2010 3:27 PM Left FedEx origin facility SHENZHEN CN
Apr 11, 2010 11:00 PM At local FedEx facility LANTAU ISLAND HK
Apr 11, 2010 4:46 PM In transit LANTAU ISLAND HK
I haven't calculated the number of miles the package has traveled, but it's a lot. From Hong Kong to China, then across the Pacific to Anchorage, then down the coast to Oakland. Only a couple of days to travel all that distance and a pittance charged for shipping. What would our ancestors, the ones who fanned across the globe in the great diaspora, have thought of this? Generations of them clomping from the cradle of mankind to Europe, or down the continent of Africa, or maybe across Asia to the Bering land bridge then down to North America. What would they have made of all of this, the reduction of a trip spanning several generations to a series of hops taking a couple of days? Trading between far-distant tribes reduced to a plane trip and maybe a few bribes. I'm imagining a blend of wonderment and foul obscenities. "You mean we didn't have to walk 7,000 miles, eat tadpoles, and wear out all of those rat-skin boots?!"
Anyhow, bless those freight dogs. The amusing thing is that it'll take about the same amount of time again to travel the last 40 miles to my house!
(Okay, I'm easily amused. Life is short. We have to get our pleasure where we can. If you're so inclined, feel free to share something you regard as a modern day miracle.)
Monday, April 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
The world is now a very small place. It's amazing and frightening all at once.
A modern day miracle?
This.
I find the tracking intriguing. Especially when the package seems to be going in the wrong direction and then magically finds it's way to your door anyway.
The modern miracle most on my mind today is Skype, since I saw my little grandson and his parents [in the U.K.] on it today! Next best thing, we decided, to being able to drop in on each other for a cup of tea!
I agree with Molly, Skype is pretty amazing. I most like the fact we can bypass the ugly expensive telecom b*st*rds, & get it free.
I also rather like the idea of ratskin boots.
Washing machines. Ok, they've been around for a while. But they're great.
And yes, also this.
I often think of our ancestors who dared to cross the oceans in small boats whenever I fly somewhere in a matter of hours.
Computers, cell phones, food processors, even TV for its potential, though mostly wasted, and I adore escalators.
Overseas telephone calls in which the person sounds like they are just across the street. And definitely Skype, as others have mentioned.
And cars that start in the morning, regardless of how cold and wet. Wasn't always thus.
Post a Comment