Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A quick giggle

A friend of mine sent me this link, Extreme Underwater Ironing. Thought some of you might find it amusing.

The preschool Easter egg hunt I wrote about the other day is over. Despite my irate, somewhat passive-aggressive mutterings, I tried to put together some plastic eggs the kids might actually enjoy. Much to my amusement, when my son brought home the eggs he found on the hunt, some of them were filled with bizarre crap, about the equivalent of my laundry flotsam! A video game token, a TWA pin, maybe a band-aid or two. Someone else must have hit bottom as well. (Thankfully, nothing as bad as my husband's suggestion to pack each egg with a pushpin and a bandaid to cover the inevitable pushpin wound.)

Ah, well. That teacher ... I'm to the point where she grates on me a bit, and I definitely don't like the way her kid treats mine. I could go on in this vein at great length.

However, she does that job about 300% better than I would. The amount of planning and preparation she must do is phenomenal. Tons and tons of fun activities for the kids, clever ways of getting the curriculum across. Catchy mnemonics for keeping the kids in line. I don't think she likes me or my kid, but she's at least polite to both of us.

The kids enjoyed the egg hunt, just as they've enjoyed the other stuff she's dreamed up. In the scheme of things, my having to scramble around my house to find crap to dump in a bunch of plastic eggs isn't the worst problem in the world.

9 comments:

kathy n said...

1. Plastic army men
2. Leftover valium
3. Cheez-Its
4. Spare Legos
5. Strange seed pods found in the yard

This could be fun...

secret agent woman said...

I take it you weren't allowed to use candy?

I've seen extreme ironing photos of people ironing while skiing and skydiving.

Jazz said...

I never really got the extreme ironing thing. What's with that?

molly said...

............???.............

Anonymous said...

I would've kept the TWA pin. Since the airline doesn't exist any more it might actually be worth something.

And, I too don't get the extreme ironing.

Warty Mammal said...

Kathy - I love that list! It's making me think of creating a new internet meme, actually, "Unsuitable items for Easter eggs."

Secret - Nope. "Edible items discouraged," the teacher said. I guess I sort of understand why, but it was still something of a pain.

Molly - Sorry; I don't understand your comment, so I don't know how to respond.

Jazz & MrWriteOn - My take on extreme ironing is that it's just a bit of silliness, a sort of meta comment on the pop culture phenomenon of extreme this and that. Hauling an ironing board underwater or to the topic of a mountain peak is ridiculous and impractical, just like so many other "extreme" activities. That said, it either strikes one as amusing or it doesn't. If it doesn't, there's no sense taking up too many brain cells with it.

Aunty Evil said...

I hate ironing enough to feel like every adventure near my ironing board is extreme.

Hubby near has a heart attack every time he sees the board come out, because he knows there is going to be blood, sweat and tears. And some of it might be his...

Glad all ended well with the eggs, but you know, I think you have learnt not to try to hard. The other parents obviously didn't, based on the crap your son brought home!

Guess what? Word verification is cande. Hehe.

Flea said...

It got a pile of crap out of your house. Redistribution of crap.

I love ironing as much as the next woman, but what the heck?

Pam said...

Yes, teaching does involve a lot of preparation (she sighed).

She certainly shouldn't show that she likes one kid more than another, though. Hmm.